Beef Curry: Hit Or Miss?

Hello there, lovely readers.
Today, I'd like to share a recipe/step-by-step-esque post about one of my experimentations in the kitchen recently. It's no secret that I absolutely love all things curry, especially Japanese style. So, I had a few leftover boxes of curry roux that I bought in California's Uwajimaya, and figured why not give it a go.
Usually, I am one more so for Katsu Curry or even chicken curry, but I hadn't had any leftover meat other than beef and therefor, I made do with what I had on hand. 

Ingredients
  • 1 New York Strip Steak
  • 1 Potato
  • 1 Yellow Onion
  • 1 Carrot
  • 1 Kokomaru curry box (1/8 cubes)
  • 1 SB Curry box (1/8 cubes)
  • 1 Java Curry box (1/8 cubes)
  • 2 Garlic Cloves
What I started off with first was peeling the peeling the skin of the garlic cloves, potato, carrot, and onion. I heated a medium saucepan for my curry and a small frying pan filled with oil so that I could fry the garlic chips. 

Next up, I sliced the steak into strips ( Which I realized was a mistake only after boiling the veggies with it. ) and cooked it over a medium heat with some butter and a sprinkle of pepper and dried parsley. After that, I dropped the onions in and cooked them down until the kitchen filled with the aroma and they were soft. Finally, I filled that same pan with 2/3 cup of water and dropped in all the other veggies until they were brought to a boil, keeping it boiled for about 15-20 minutes so that everything could become nice and soft.

In the meantime, I dropped the garlic chips into the oil and fried them for about 2 minutes on each side using a medium-low heat setting so that they wouldn't burn. Once done, I removed them and allowed them to be set on some napkins placed inside of a strainer to drain all of the oil/grease off.

Once the curry was finally done, along with the meat, I decided to remove the beef and mince it so that it would blend better into the curry. To the boiling water, I reduced the head to 'simmer' or 'low' and finely chopped the curry roux blocks, using one of each from the different boxes. I then mixed it in and added a bit of Clover honey for added flavor/sweetness and a bit of Sriracha simply because I love spicy food. As I waited for the curry to finally thicken, I had made some rice and set it aside until the time to eat came.

I give you, one delectable beef curry bowl featuring my strange husky Sokka begging for just a morsel. 

Comments

Popular Posts